Here's a quick and simple recipe to get you in the fall mood!
Cook time: 30 minutes
Recipe by Live Love Liz can be found here
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.