Summer has finally arrived! Our family enjoys camping throughout the summer. To make life a little easier, we try to plan our meals ahead of time. One of my go-to recipes for a camping breakfast is an egg bake! I make it the day before we leave and it lasts us all weekend. That way our day gets started with a good meal!
Make-Ahead Ham, Cheese, Veggie and Hash Brown Egg Bake
- 1 container (8 ounces), honey ham, chopped
- 12 eggs
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 cups shredded hash browns, thawed if bought frozen
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Salt, pepper, or preferred seasonings
- Salsa or ketchup as a topping when served
Putting It Together:
- **Thaw the hash browns overnight or earlier in the day in a 9 x 13 inch pan in the fridge.**
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop all vegetables and ham into bite size pieces. You can add whatever vegetables you would usually want in an omelet!
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and milk together until scrambled. Add salt, pepper, or any seasoning you prefer to the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture over the hash browns in the 9 x 13 inch pan. Add in the vegetables, ham, and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes uncovered until the middle of the mixture is cooked through. (Toothpick comes out cleanly.)
To avoid extra moisture when storing, once it’s cooled you can add a piece of paper towel over the top of the eggs to soak up extra condensation, then cover as usual. I enjoy my egg bake with salsa or a little bit of ketchup!
Enjoy and happy camping!