It's September tomorrow and the temperature has been consistent with what I expect with fall--sunny but just a little cool with a slight breeze in the air.
In other words: Perfect.
If you are also excited for autumn, I recommend getting out and enjoying some of the orchards in the area:
Once you've managed to get out of the corn mazes, taken a hay ride, and picked your apples, bring them home and cook up this healthy-ish desert for your family!
Best Healthy Apple Crisp Ever!
By Ambitious Kitchen
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raw chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
For the Crisp:
- 5-6 medium Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced very thin.
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 baking pan and set aside.
- Make the topping by combining flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a large bowl until well-combined. Add in the pieces of butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine until the mixture becomes crumbly. Place topping in the fridge while you make the filling.
- To prepare the filling, combine the apples, syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix 1/3 of the topping with the apples in the bowl and toss to combine. Pour that mixture into the prepared pan then sprinkle the remaining topping over it. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Enjoy the desert and then I recommend taking a walk and enjoying the weather. Enjoy the holiday weekend!