This Sunday is Oscar Sunday! The show that celebrates the best in film for the past year and Billy Crystal is back hosting for his 9th time! I didn’t get around to seeing all the nominated films but I want to still watch some of the show. For those of you that have Oscars’ parties, your snacks don't all have to be high in calories. Here are a few healthier recipes that were inspired by the nominations for Best Picture. And (some of) the nominees are…
Midnight in Paris - Serve up crepes and an assortment of toppings including berries, jams, bananas (with a little honey- yum), and nuts!
The Descendants - This movie focuses on a family in Hawaii so what better recipe to make than Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs!
Moneyball - “Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the crowd, buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks…” Nah, hold the peanuts and Cracker Jacks, make your guests hotdogs on the grill and offer a few options for toppings. Better Homes and Gardens listed a few picks for hotdogs with less fat and sodium:
- Boar’s Head Lite Beef Frankfurters - 90 calories per frank and 270 mg of sodium
- Oscar Mayer Light Wieners made with turkey and pork - 90 calories each and 380 mg of sodium
- All Natural: Applegate Farms Uncured Beef Hot Dogs - 80 calories and 380 mg of sodium
Some fun choices for toppers could include chopped up avocado, sprouts, peppers and onions, or salsa with jalapenos!
The Help - whip up a, ahem, slightly tastier pie than Minnie’s chocolate pie from the movie.
Low Fat Chocolate Mousse pie from Sparkpeople.com
1 package Jello Sugar-Free Chocolate Pudding
2 cups nonfat milk
1 container Cool Whip Free Whipped Topping
1 Keebler Ready Crust Reduced Fat Graham Pie Crust
1. Whisk together the pudding mix and cold milk for two minutes, let chill for 5 minutes.
2. Fold whipped topping into pudding.
3. Pour mixture into pie crust and let chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. Cut into 8 slices and let everyone enjoy!
177.1 Calories/slice, 29.4 g carbohydrates, 3.6 g fat, 150.7 mg sodium
I don’t know if I will watch the entire show, but I do really want to see Billy Crystal’s opening. Are you going to watch the Oscars? What’s your favorite part? Enjoy the show!