Getting regular physical activity is beneficial to our health and well-being. To start seeing the benefits of physical activity, strive for completing at least 30 minutes per day, five days out of the week. Being motivated to start being active and staying consistent can be challenging.
Here are five tips to get you motivated to be active!
Start by picking an activity that is at a location that you enjoy.
- Being active should be enjoyable and fun! If you don’t know what type of activity you like best, give different types a try and find your favorites. Examples would be running, biking, walking, swimming, weightlifting, exercise classes, dancing, and playing sports.
Changing a sedentary time into something active.
- Look for times when you are sedentary and choose to do something active in your day. For example, after dinner, do you watch TV and scroll on your phone? Instead, opt for a family walk and enjoy the weather, or start watching your show while walking in place or on a stationary bike.
Think of what time of day works best for you.
- Set aside a specific time to make physical activity part of your daily routine that works well for you. Make time in the day for the activity. Schedule it as if it were an obligation you needed to complete. This will allow you to plan around work and family obligations.
Find activities to do as a family or with friends.
- Doing a physical activity with other people can motivate and encourage staying consistent. There are endless possibilities to try. You could get together with multiple families to play a fun game of kickball. Go for a walk in the park, then play some tag. No matter what activity you choose, enjoy some movement and have fun!
Start slow and build up to more challenging activities.
- Pick an activity you know you can be consistent with and work your way up. If you start walking for 10-15 minutes, work your way up to a walk/jog for 20-30 minutes. You’ll improve your overall health and well-being by getting up and moving!
Written by: Coach Shelby