I hear from people a lot that it is hard to manage a healthy weight because it seems like everything they do socially revolves around food. Whether its birthdays, holidays, weeknight get-togethers, girl’s nights, or guy’s nights, usually it has to do with eating.
So how can we hang out with friends when we are trying to watch our waistline? Below are a few suggestions.
1. Painting – Something I’ve always wanted to try. Follow along step-by-step with an instructor to create a masterpiece. Think Bob Ross. Or, make your own creation like this guy:
2. Hiking – Take a hike, literally! Get some fresh air, enjoy nature. There are a lot of great trails or paths around the area.
3. Bowling – Knock down some pins at the local bowling alley.
4. Shopping – Always my favorite.
5. Hockey – Ha. Just had to throw this in there, of course. But seriously, team sports are a great way to be active and build comradery with other people.
6. Museum – Get some culture, learn something new.
7. Volunteering – Donate your time to a good cause. Charities are usually always looking for help.
8. Biking – Borrow a bike if you have to. Don’t forget the helmet! My friend Lisa and I encountered a turtle, deer, turkey, and a skunk on our last biking trip.
9. Crafts – Hit up Michael’s Craft store to find something fun to create.
10. Movies – skip the popcorn and enjoy a flick with a friend.
11. Book club – Rotate who chooses the book and have a group discussion the readings.
12. Yoga – My friend Debbie and I try to get together twice a week for yoga and we have such a great time!
What are some other suggestions you have on ways to socialize without food? Share them in the comments below!