For those that love food with texture, you’ll have to try this recipe. This is, essentially, an egg salad sandwich, without the egg and mayonnaise. It’s got uber crunch, mounds of flavor, and mega health benefits! Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) have a ton of protein and fiber. Avocado is chock full of healthy monounsaturated fats for heart health, and vitamin K for strong bones. How can you say “no” to this extraordinary sandwich? It’s the best, IMHO.
Smoked Almond & Chickpea Salad Sammies
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or two cans)
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp dried dill
- 1/3 cup chopped celery (about small 2 ribs)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup smoked almonds
- 8 to 12 slices bread, toasted
- Dijon mustard, lettuce, and tomato (optional)
1. Add the chickpeas, avocado, and lemon juice to a big bowl and mash. Some chunks are fine, whatever you like. Fold in the onion, dill, celery, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix it all together.
2. Chop up the almonds and add them to the bowl.
3. Serve up on some toasted bread with Dijon mustard, lettuce, and tomato. This is best enjoyed the day it’s made; it keeps fine in the fridge but you might lose some of that crunch. Or, you can keep the almonds in a separate container and add them in as you make your sammie each time!
Did you know you can freeze avocados? Learn how here!