This recipe is a very simple, quick, and delicious dinner. I had never used chicken sausage before but decided to give it a try. I found 2 different brands that I love.
I put different flavors of the chicken sausage in all sorts of recipes to boost the flavor. An example would be adding a Caprese style chicken sausage to some spaghetti or using the Hawaiian style on kabobs on the grill with some pineapple and peppers.
My favorite brands are Gilbert’s and Good & Gather. I find both at Target.
For this recipe I used the Gilbert’s Bourbon Apple flavor.
Sweet Potato and Chicken Sausage Skillet
Serves: 2 (with enough for 1 lunch the next day)
- 2 medium-large size sweet potatoes, diced small
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 4 chicken sausage links, sliced
- 4 teaspoon olive oil, reserved
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick pan to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix sweet potatoes and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add sausage and onion to skillet and season to taste. Cook until onions soften and sausage browns, or about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and 1/4 cup of water. Cover for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If you would like you can add a vegetable, such as broccoli or green beans. I usually add one to the side of the dish or have a salad with it.
- When ready to serve--add a little mozzarella cheese to the top for a bit of extra flavor.