I’ve never actually grown zucchini in my garden, but somehow every year I end up with more zucchini than I know what to do with! (Thanks, Mom.) So I’m always searching for a new ways to prepare it. Now, usually recipes for chocolate zucchini bread seem to be loaded with fat and calories. However, I came across this version and thought it was worth trying out!
What’s your favorite way to prepare zucchini? Let me know – I’ve still got a lot of zucchini left!
Yield: 1 loaf (18-24 servings)
- 2 cups zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 8 oz nonfat yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare pan (2-3 muffin tins or 1 loaf pan) with cooking spray and flour. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine flours, sugars, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder and cocoa.
4. In another mixing bowl, combine zucchini, yogurt and egg whites.
5. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients until just moistened.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
7. Bake for 60 minutes and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
Fat: .4 grams
Sodium: 60 mg
Protein: 2.7 g