Stress relief can come in many different forms for everyone. Some people enjoy activities such as reading, journaling, watching their favorite TV show, or hanging out with family or friends to take their minds off of stress. One of the easiest ways to relieve stress is to move more and sit less! When we are physically active, our bodies release endorphins which can improve our mood. It also increases oxygen to our bodies and brain and improves our brain’s ability to remember and learn new information.
Physically active people tend to feel less anxious and more positive about themselves. Not only does physical activity help to boost our mood, but it can also increase our self-confidence. The best form of physical activity you can do is one that you WILL do!
The most common activities include walking, biking, swimming, or even dancing. Not all physical activity has to be formal exercise. Some additional ways to move more throughout the day can include:
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Use the stairs as a great indoor activity option if the weather isn’t ideal outside from heat, rain, or snow.
- Parking as far away as you can from the door. This is a simple strategy for getting more steps in for the day!
- Hand-washing your car. If the season and weather are favorable, this can be an excellent way to get moving and get an arm workout! Another perk – being outside can boost your mood as well.
- Cleaning your house. Between vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, and wiping down household surfaces, you can get a lot of activities in while also checking off some items from your to-do list.
- Walking on your work breaks. A lunch break or a quick stand-up and stretch break can help you physically and mentally regroup.
Find something you enjoy, get up, and get moving today to boost your mood and productivity!
By Coach Sarah