This past weekend was just gorgeous so we decided to take advantage of the weather and take a long walk. It just so happens our walking route passes by a Starbucks so we had to stop in… 99% of the time I go to a coffee place I get regular coffee, maybe I’ll add some whip cream to the top if I’m feeling fancy but I stay away from the sugar and calorie laden drinks. Reason one- I don’t want to spend $5 on a beverage, and reason two- I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them (unless it’s the occasional glass of red). However, this weekend I fell for the holiday advertising and got a Skinny Peppermint Mocha. The grande had 160 calories and 13 grams of sugar and I’ll say it- worth it. It was delicious. But it got me thinking that surely I could concoct a similar tasting beverage in my own kitchen for less calories and far less money. I found this recipe from Dashing Dish and loved it, if you’re in the mood for something warm, chocolatey and a little caffeinated you need to give it a try!
- 2/3 cup Strong coffee (I just brewed what I normally make in the morning, if you have an espresso machine you could use that as well)
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened almond milk or low fat milk of choice
- 1 tbs Unsweetened cocoa powder (to taste)
- 2-4 pkts Stevia, (to taste) OR sweetener of choice to taste
- 1-2 drops Peppermint extract
Give it a try and let me know what you think!