It’s finally summer! Time to enjoy the beautiful weather and get together with friends and family. With summer comes many events – graduation parties, weddings, family reunions, and cookouts. You name it, we all gather around food!
One of the easiest ways to stick with your nutrition goals is to bring a healthy dish to pass. Here is a dish that is tasty and healthy to bring along to your next gathering.
Hot Fiesta Dip
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- 5 ounces low-fat shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (garnish)
- 1 avocado diced (garnish)
- Romaine hearts cut to spoon size
- Mix corn, black beans, and salsa in a small crockpot. Heat thoroughly.
- Place cheese and green onions on the top of the salsa mixture until melted.
- Place diced avocado in a dish on the side for others to add as a cold garnish if they choose.
- Use spoon-sized romaine hearts as a party dipper. This is a healthy alternative to tortilla chips!
You can also make this recipe in the microwave if you are short on time or aren’t needing to keep it hot for a longer period of time. Use a microwave-safe 9 x 13 inch pan heating the corn, black beans, and salsa first. Add the cheese once the dip is warm, and the garnishes on top to finish.
What other healthy options do you bring to potlucks or other events? Share it in the comments below!