Want a simple treat that is easy to make and easy on your waist line?
Meringues are the perfect little cookie. At just 25 calories a piece these are easy to make and easy to personalize.
I use different extracts to create different flavors. Lately, I have been loving a mixture of cinnamon and vanilla for a nice treat with a hot tea at night!
Give these a try and see for yourself!
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla (or extract of choice)
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large, clean bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to stir on low until the mixture becomes foamy.
- Increase speed to high and gradually begin adding sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir after each division until sugar is dissolved.
- Beat until the mixture is thick and shiny and has increased in volume. The mixture should form stick peaks and sugar should be dissolved.
- Place mixture in piping bag and pipe onto your prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and leave cookies in for an additional 2 hours.
Recipe from Sugar Spun Run