My husband is a good old-fashioned Wisconsinite who loves a good burger. We have our favorite burgers at restaurants around Eau Claire. But we thought, is there a way we could create one of our favorites at home? We decided to try because it would save us money and we could make a healthier version.
For this recipe, we created the Brown Sugar & Smoked Cheddar burger from a local restaurant with our own healthy twists.
Homemade Brown Sugar & Smoked Cheddar Burger
- 90% or more lean ground beef
- Cheddar Cheese thin slices
- Your favorite BBQ sauce -- here is our favorite that we find at Woodman's
- Turkey bacon
- Red onion and tomato -- you can add other toppings, this is just what we prefer
- Brown sugar
- Seasoning -- we use McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak or Hamburger seasoning
- Whole wheat hamburger buns or lettuce wraps
- Make the burger patties with any seasonings you prefer and cook the burgers.
- Slice the turkey bacon in half and cook.
- While the burgers are cooking, chop the onion and any toppings you prefer.
- Top the burger patties with the cheddar cheese and let it melt.
- Add a pinch of brown sugar to the bacon.
- Put it all together! Burger patty, cheese, onion, bacon, and top it with BBQ sauce.
This recipe cuts the calories in half compared to the take out version. We plan to try to make our other favorite gourmet burgers in the near future. Stay tuned for the next healthy-ish burger creation!