In my house, I am the veggie queen! I have a strong need to have a huge serving of vegetables with my lunches and dinners! My husband, on the other hand, prefers meats and noodles for his meals. We try to incorporate a little of both so that everyone is happy with dinner, but sometimes we get sick of the same old food over and over again. Recently we found a recipe that was a great compromise! Enter Chicken Pesto Tortellini and Veggies!
I found this recipe on Pinterest and I immediately knew it would be a hit. I did some tweaking to the recipe to make it my own, but overall this was a delicious dinner option. I added extra asparagus and tomatoes, and decreased the amount of chicken and tortellini. The dish was still very filling and made more than enough for two people. We ended up having it for lunch the next day as well! I consider this a once in a while dish since it is a little on the indulgent side. We made it for dinner on a Friday night date in since our 10-week-old tends to run our lives as of late!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken thighs boneless and skinless, sliced into strips
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes drained of oil, chopped
- 1 lb asparagus ends trimmed, cut in half
- 1/4 cup basil pesto or use more
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes yellow and red, halved
- 1 cup tortellini uncooked
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, add sliced chicken thighs, season chicken generously with salt, add half of chopped sun-dried tomatoes - and cook everything on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, flipping a couple of times, until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and sun-dried tomatoes from the skillet, leaving the oil in.
- Add asparagus (ends trimmed) and seasoned generously with salt, remaining half of sun-dried tomatoes, and cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the asparagus is cooked through. Remove the asparagus to a serving plate.
- Cook tortellini according to the package instructions, drain.
- Add chicken back to the skillet, add pesto, stir to coat on low-medium heat until the chicken is reheated, 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add tortellini, halved cherry tomatoes, mix with the pesto and the chicken. Add more pesto if desired. Taste, and add more salt if needed. Add chicken and tomatoes and tortellini to the serving plate with asparagus
Makes 6 servings Calories: 336/serving Fat: 23g/serving Protein: 18 g/serving Carbs: 16g/serving