Getting enough physical activity is an essential part of our overall health and wellbeing. You can start seeing benefits in your physical and mental health by regularly completing at least 30 minutes of physical activity at least 5 days out of the week.
Take a look at the 5 benefits of physical activity:
- Maintain weight: Weight management is all about how many calories you consume versus how many you burn. Any excess calories that you consume that your body doesn’t burn in a day will be stored for later, contributing to weight gain. Along with a healthy dietary pattern, getting regular physical activity will help you control the amount of calories your body burns versus stores. The more physical activity you add to your day, the more calories you burn.
- Reduce health risks: Regularly completing the recommended amount of physical activity per week lowers your chances of developing heart disease, can help lower blood pressure, and reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. It has been shown to help improve conditions like type 2 diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol. It also can decrease the risk of developing several types of cancer, like breast cancer and colon cancer.
- Reduce arthritis pain and associated disability: Regular physical activity that includes aerobic activity, and if able, muscle-strengthening activities help manage the pain associated with arthritis and improve the ability to complete daily tasks and quality of life.
- Reduce risk for osteoporosis and falls: Regular physical activity will strengthen bones and muscles. This can help slow down the effects of osteoporosis and diminishing bone density. It will also help reduce the risk of falling and injuries from falls.
- Reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety: Just one bout of exercise can improve your mood and help you feel happier. It can also help you sleep better. Going for a walk or doing something active is a great healthy way to help manage feelings of stress and anxiety.
Regular physical activity is what keeps our muscles, bones, and organs healthy. It can help us maintain our weight, reduce the risk of chronic disease, help with pain management, reduce the risk of falls, and improve our mental health. By making regular physical activity a priority, you are also making yourself a priority, so get out and be active today!
Written by: Coach Evan